IMERS publicly available key presentations and documents are listed below in the reverse chronological order ():
(on adoption of IMERS you might check the section Buy-in|Achievements)
- We apologize, but various presentations from Autumn 2009 onwards have not been included on the list below.
- Ensuring Fair and Effective Carbon Pricing of International Transport (0.7 Mb), presented at the UNFCCC COP 18, Doha, Qatar, 26 November - 8 December 2012 (for more details see COP18 & international transport)
- Rebate Mechanism: Ensuring no net incidence on developing countries from carbon pricing of international transport (0.8 Mb), presented at the Panama Climate Talks, Panama City, 1 - 7 Oct 2011 (for more details see RM at Panama)
- Common but Differentiated Way Forward to Emissions from International Transport (0.4 Mb), presented at the Carbon Forum Asia, Singapore, 26 - 27 Oct 2009.
- Beyond Offsetting of Emissions from International Transport (0.2 Mb), debated at the 4th Latin America Carbon Forum, Panama City, 24-26 June 2009.
- Equitable Financing & Reducing Emissions from International Transport (0.4 Mb), from the dedicated IMERS side event at the Bonn Climate Change Talks, June 2009.
- CO2 emissions: an opportunity for shipping companies? , a presentation from the Eurosif/UKSIF shipping event at Henderson Global Investors, London, March 2009.
- A differentiated levy on fuel , invited presentation at the UNCTAD expert meeting on "Maritime Transport and Climate Change Challenge". Accompanied by a formal submission .
- Our shortest presentation on differentiated IMERS has been made at the conference on ICT for Sustainable Future (in just over 5 minutes). See IMERS description in 30 words.
- Presentation and debate at COP 14 on CBDR for international transport (0.4 Mb) has produced the following Message & Summary from the Event .
- Impacts of market-based instruments & The search for a Global but Differentiated policy (0.3MB).
A presentation from a side event organised by WWF UK at the IMO MEPC 58 session, London, 6-10 October 2008. It includes the most recent IMERS proposal for Global but Differentiated Policy for a GHG market-based instrument for shipping.
- Emerging discussions on Financing mitigation and adaptation (0.5MB).
IMERS was introduced as an example to raise innovative financing for mitigation and adaptation at a Workshop on Aviation and Carbon Markets, Montreal, 18-19 June 2008, organised by ICAO. Kindly presented by Erik Haites.
- Bunker Fuel Emissions, Adaptation Funding & Technology Transformation (0.8 Mb).
Presentation from our official side event at the Bonn Climate Change Talks, 2-13 June 2008.
- Case study on Innovation in Climate Change Diplomacy (0.5MB).
- Bunker emissions & adaptation funding (0.9 MB) -
a presentation from our official side event in Bali during the UNFCCC COP 13
- IMERS synopsis (0.1 MB) -
a special 2-pager with all the scheme details prepared for the UN climate change conference in Bali in Dec 2007 (UNFCCC COP 13)
- Data requirements for IMERS (0.6 MB) -
as presented at the Technical workshop on Emissions from aviation and maritime transport, Oslo, Norway, 4-5 Oct 2007.
- Innovative Financing and Environment (1.6 MB) -
a presentation for a roundtable discussion at the 3rd Plenary Meeting
of the Leading Group on Solidarity Levies to Fund Development, Seoul, Korea, 3-4 Sept, 2007 (on invitation of Foreign Office of Korea). Also available, The Way Forward (0.2 MB), summary from the roundtable on innovative financing and environment.
- A working 1-page example -
how am IMERS scheme could work (July 2007)
- An Emission Reduction Scheme (0.3 MB) -
a supporting document prepared for the MEPC 56 with the scheme main details
- Shipping case for action (0.4 MB) -
that quantifies CO2 emission avoidance potential and benefits of early action; prepared as background working document for the IMO MEPC 56 in July 2007
- Preparatory slides MEPC 56/4/9 (0.7 MB) -
short presentation used for preparatory briefings with around 30 delegations to allow more informed positions at the MEPC 56 (used throughout June 2007)
- Submission MEPC 56/4/9 by Norway -
submission to the influential IMO Marine Environment Protection Committee 56th session
submitted in early May 2007 (not generally available in all countries, I'm afraid)
- Initial shipping case for action (March 07) (0.7 MB) -
initial case for action prepared for and submitted to secretariats of UNFCCC and IMO in March 2007
- Synopsis for International Maritime Climate Change Fund (0.4 MB) -
initial synopsis for climate change as discussed with the secretariats of IMO and UNFCCC in March 2007 (IMO = International Maritime Organization,
UNFCCC = United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change; )
- Aviation: Comparison of Charge & Cap with emissions trading (0.2 MB) -
a comparative table showing key design elements for emission trading and the proposed hybrid "Charge & Cap" scheme; the comparative table uses the attributes defined by ICAO in 2004 (February 2007)
- Aviation: FAQs for the International Aviation Climate Change Fund (0.2 MB) -
frequently asked questions accompanying the IACC Fund proposal (February 2007)
- Aviation: Synopsis for International Aviation Climate Change Fund (IACC Fund) (0.2 MB) -
initial synopsis for climate change fund prepared for and submitted to the top 12 airlines companies and the ICAO secretariat in February 2007
(ICAO = International Civil Aviation Organization)
- Air travel: IATAL (0.7 MB document), an International Air Travel Adaptation Levy, by Benito Müller and Cameron Hepburn (Oct 2006). The case for innovative adaptation financing presented in IATAL was a major influence to create the idea of the IACC Fund and subsequently the IMERS initiative.